Saturday, April 14, 2007

Southern Festivals, Last Bastions of a Dying Culture

On my most recent trip back to the land of my birth, I was reminded yet again of how California will never compare to the unassuming, good country people I've left behind. Oh Georgia-line, even in my moments frustration with some of your more dated ways, I am still proud to count myself amongst your native sons!

So, in the name of all that is good, I will now make the most feeble attempt to share these simple pleasures of civil fraternity with a wider audience. We must patronize and cherish them with all our might! These festivals are our last hope of warding off the inevitable cultural homogenization wrought by great weather and cheap housing prices.

The Okra Strut





















The SC Poultry Festival (My sister was runner-up this past year in the Miss Poultry Pageant!)

Allendale's Spring Cooter Fest (My new favorite, although shamefully I've never been)

No comments: